Painting Process: Robot and Statues

Here's another in my series of painting process discussions, where I break down my basic process for doing one of my robot paintings. As with all the others in this series, this painting was done in Photoshop, in RGB, 300dpi, at 12"x18".


I started the initial illustration with two photos of Christine as the two large statues in the background (holding a yoga ball, as it happens) with another photo of Erika in the foreground, building up the city around these three figures. I had the rough idea of a massive, oppressive setting for the piece, and this seemed to fit the bill.


I then designed the overall stone pattern on the statues and the robot pattern on Erika.


Laying down the flat colour layers for the robot. As with all of the pieces I do, the colours used here serve only to visually separate the various painting layers from each other, and don't indicate the colour scheme to be used when completed.


Foreground and statue layers completed. Rather than an opaque sphere, I went with the hollow globe idea from several World's Fairs over the years to allow more of the background to show through in the final piece.


Background cityscape flat layers laid down. Now on to the painting.


Deep background painted. As with all of my pieces, everything here is hand-painted rather than using any sort of 3D modeling software or anything.


Statues painted. I've gone with a cool colour scheme for the background, which naturally leads to choosing a warmer palette for the foreground and robot. I also turned the globe into a light source, but one that really only illuminates itself - because it doesn't cast a lot of light on anything around it, it gives it more of a sense of size and scale, making it and the statues seem even larger.


Foreground space painted. I went with the notion that the foreground platform is made of hammered metal, possibly with a thin film of water over top. This allows use of reflections, without being limited by needing to match the background elements precisely in those reflections. The hammered texture of the metal provides a lot of imperfects for the light to dance around in, adding another element of visual interest to the piece.


Basic metal painting on Erika. I went with red hair to really make her pop against that cool blue background.


Final internal lighting effects added as well as overall lighting and polishing effects throughout. 

Prints of the final piece can be purchased at my RedBubble gallery.

Comments