Painting Process: Cybergoth Robot

Here's another in my series of blog posts where I go over my basic process for doing on of my robot paintings. Like all of the other pieces in this series, this one was painted in Photoshop, 300dpi, at 12"x18".


I started with the basic concept of having Emily being reflected on either side of her in glass. My initial idea was just more experiments with reflections, but then I got the idea that the reflections could instead be aspects of her character that she's dealing with, so that changed up my design a bit. I went with her dark side on the left of frame and her light side on the right of frame, keeping them both as robot designs to go with the overall theme of this project while also exploring her mindset a bit further than I normally do.


Robot design laid out on Emily (including the addition of the cybergoth-style gas mask, indicating she is more cyborg than robot) and a large cityscape based on Winnipeg.


Flat colour layers laid down for painting. As always, the colours used here don't reflect the final colour scheme that I'll be painting with, but just serve to visually separate the various painting layers from each other.


Cityscape painted. I went with a very simple painting style for the city, as the three figures (and the glass effects on either side of the main figure) will be very busy, and I don't want the background to overwhelm that.


Morality reflections painted, as well as part of the frame of the exterior window. I deliberately faded the reflections out at the bottom of the image to give more of a sense that they don't physically exist, but instead are aspects of the central figure's personality.


Interior window frame painted as well as some reflection lighting on the windows painted in, further separating the reflections from the main character.


Halo lighting added to one of the morality reflections, even further separating the reflections from the central figure.


Primary painting on the central figure completed. I went with skin tones around the eyes to further reinforce the notion that she is a cyborg rather than a robot, justifying the gas mask and goggles.


Internal lighting and polishing effects painted in on the central figure.

Prints of this piece can be purchased at my RedBubble Gallery.

Comments