Painting Process: Gothic Robot Angel

Here's another in my series of posts where I break down the process I use to do one of my robot paintings. As with all of the other ones, this was painted in Photoshop, in RGB, 12"x18", 300dpi.


Starting with the photo of Brittany, I came up with the concept of her being enveloped with massive, almost torn-looking wings, standing up high on a very rickety platform. The more gothic nature of this piece led me away from cityscapes and more toward reflections in water, so I set all of that over a lake or ocean, with two planets in the background. 


Drawing out the robot pattern on Brittany. This piece was going to involve a lot of internal lighting on her, as she needs to be glowing against the very dark setting.


Torn metal wing pattern defined.


Flat colour layers laid down on Brittany. As with all of these pieces, the various colours don't necessarily indicate the colours used in the final painting, but instead just demarcate the various layers.


Flat colour layers for the tower and background laid down.


Planets and sky painted in. Note that no textures or filters are used for any of this, but instead this is all done with traditional hand-painted techniques using a variety of custom brushes, many of which I've made myself over the years.


Water and reflections painted in.


Atmospheric effects and tower painted. I'm really emphasizing the creepy/gothic setting in this one.


Basic painting on Brittany done. It's here that I realized that I didn't want to give her the usual 'glass energy' effects that I've been doing a lot of (using internal light sources all over her body), but rather just have her primary light source being her eyes, spreading that light around with some atmospheric effects. This will really emphasize the gothic quality of the piece.


Right wing and inside of left wing painted.


Outside of left wing painted. This has more modelling on it than the interior parts, as it is reflecting light from off-camera, while the internal parts of the wings will just be covered in the lighting effects from her eyes.


Lighting effects and polishing added. I wanted the sensation of the red lighting being enveloped by the wings, and I think that effect does really come across.

The final piece can be seen (and prints purchased) at my RedBubble Gallery.

Comments