Painting Process: Steampunk Robot and Clock

Here's another in my Painting Process posts. As with all of these paintings, this was done in Photoshop at 12"x18", 300dpi, in RGB.

I tend to take a softer approach to Steampunk, not putting in quite so much in the way of overly elaborate decorations that you might see in some work, but rather going with an overall Victorian feel, combined with futuristic and Cyberpunk elements. I think this piece with Emily definitely shows that difference in approach.

I started with a photograph of Emily and drew out the basic robot pattern. There is a little bit more in the way of curving and pointed designs here than in my other robot pieces, but not a lot more. Mostly just a few curved plates and the goggle-style eyes to make it a bit more Steampunk.

In the room that we did the photo shoot in, there was an interesting-looking clock that I ended up incorporating into this design. Drawing in Victorian buildings and multiple bridges adds more to the Steampunk look of the piece.

Laying down flat colour layers for painting. As with all of these pieces, the various colours only distinguish the difference between the painting layers, and don't really reflect the colour scheme of the final painting.

Background flat painting layers dropped in.

Sky background painted. All of these textures are hand-painted, using a variety of custom brushes I have built myself from a variety of sources.

Background painting and initial fog effects done. At this point, I'm going for a warm background, meaning that Emily will have a cool colour scheme.

Bridges painted and more fog effects added in, really getting a London feel to the piece.

Clock and foreground lights painted.

Fence painted.

First pass on painting the robot design. This piece really marked a transition to going back to more photographic elements in the painting, resulting in softer modelling than in some previous paintings, and definitely takes advantage of the tone, structure, and definition in Emily herself, even where it is entirely replaces with small machine pieces.

Final metal polishing and lighting effects added in.

To view the final piece, and purchase prints of it, take a look at the image on my RedBubble gallery.