Painting Process: Lounging Robots

It's been a while since I've done one of these painting process posts. As with all of the others, these are painted in Photoshop, RGB, 12"x18", at 300dpi.


I started with two photos of Lisa, both shot on the same bed. In fact, that pattern on the bedspread is based on the one her own bed has, as I liked how it went with the Victorian/Steampunk theme I was playing with here. I developed the background from several different sources of Victorian-era homes.


Flat colour layers laid down for the first Lisa robot. Note that the colours I use for these flat layers will not generally reflect the final colour choices I end up painting with, but are just handy to keep the various layers separated visually.


Flat colour layers laid down for the second Lisa robot.


Flat colour layers created for the various background elements.


Background painted. I went with very warm tones, indicating sunrise coming through the windows.


Bedspread painted. This was pretty complex, but I love the rich red tones I ended up with.


Second Lisa robot painted. This is all pretty straightforward traditional-style painting here, with no use of filters or textures, just hand-rendered painting.


First Lisa robot painted.


Various lighting effects and polishing painted over the figures and overall piece, giving even more of a sense of sunrise spilling over the two figures.

The final piece can be seen (and prints purchased) at this link. Also, be sure to check out my work on my Facebook page, if you are so inclined.

Comments