Painting Process: Robot With Gun and Robot Angel

Another in my series of painting process blogs, breaking down the procedures for creating one of my (usually robot-themed) paintings. As with all of these, they are painted in Photoshop, 12"x18", 300dpi, in RGB.


This started as two photos from two unrelated photo shoots. Shlee is in the foreground with the gun (she was using a pellet gun as a prop) while my assistant, Kelsie, is in the background. Kelsie had perched herself on a stairwell railing for that pose, which was tricky to maintain, so I was very happy to incorporate it into a piece. Sketching the whole piece out, I decided to go with a ruined futuristic city.


Dropping in the flat colour layers on Shlee. As always, the colours used in these layers don't in any way reflect the final colours that I'll be painting with.


Dropped in the hair layers. Going in to this piece, I knew that I wanted Shlee to be incredibly dark, with prominent light sources inside of her, which will be all of the red layers you can see so far.


Flat colour layers on Kelsie dropped in. I had initially created the illustration of Kelsie for a stand-alone piece, but realized how much better it looked as a part of a larger piece with another model.


Background flat layers created. On to the painting.


Initial background painted. As with all the other painting steps in this process, all the detail you see is hand-rendered. While I am using a computer to paint this, I'm using it just as you would use acrylics or oils, just with a larger brush selection (most of which I created myself) and less in the way of messy clean-up.


Post and foreground painted. More fog and smoke painted in as well. I've created a lot of organic-sourced brushes for my fog and smoke effects over the years - it's amazing what sources you can end up using to make really cool brush patterns.


Metal on Shlee painted. When I painted the foreground, I kept the light sources on Shlee in mind when creating some of the reflections, so the environment and the robot all look like they belong together.


The gun and additional lighting and polishing effects added in.


Metal plating on Kelsie painted. I also knew that I was going to use the 'glass energy' style of robot with her, so the blue layer has been left unpainted at the moment.


Green 'glass energy' painted on Kelsie.


Additional fog and smoke effects painted in between the two robots to increase the depth and give the painting more of a sense of scale.

Prints (and other products) of the finished piece can be purchased at this link.  You can see a lot more work like this at my Facebook art page as well.

Comments