Painting Process: Cyberpunk Painting 020

First, I want to wish everyone a Happy Canada Day!

Second, I'm just going to quickly promote my Facebook page - you can see all kinds of work of mine there, if you are of the Facebook-inclined.

And third, on to the painting process for this piece. As always, these are painted in Photoshop, RGB, 12"x18", 300dpi.




Erin had asked about doing one (or more) paintings/photos with a compound bow, and I thought that sounded like a fun idea. I ended up having to blend together a couple of photos of her to get this one to work, and dropped in a photo of my assistant, Kelsie, in the background as a huge statue. These large statues are definitely becoming a feature of this crazy world I'm defining in these paintings.


Once the basic illustration was done, I drop in separate colour layers for the various elements on Erin. The bowstring is a bit thicker than it was in the actual photo so it will be easier to see.


Creating the scaffolding layers under Erin. This is a rather rickety structure.


Four simple layers dropped in for the Kelsie statue.


Two or three more background layers dropped in here. Now on to the painting.


The buildings are pushed heavily into the background by the mist I mixed in.


First pass at painting the statue. It is quite a bit darker than I am wanting, but a good place to start from.


Painting the scaffolding. I can already see where more distance needs to be created in the background elements, including the statue.


The metal layers behind the bow, arm, and head are painted in.


The remaining metal layers are painted. I went with a very warm colour scheme on Erin to pull her away from the background.


Bow painted, including making the string some sort of energy field, as well as doing all the polishing and lighting effects.

Prints of this piece can be purchased at this link.


Comments