Tomb of Dracula Thursdays - cover



A few months ago, I had posted a colouring experiment where I coloured five pages of a Gene Colan issue of Tomb of Dracula. I've decided it's time to repeat that experiment.

I'm taking an entire issue of that series (issue #44, to be precise) and recolouring it - I've decided it has been too long since I last submitted any of my colouring to Marvel Comics, and thought this might be a good portfolio/submission piece.

Over the next few weeks, I'll be posting these pages on my blog. These will be the aforementioned Tomb of Dracula Thursdays.

Note that I'm not using the original coloured book for any sort of reference - I am scanning the pages from Volume 2 of Essential Tomb of Dracula (all black & white artwork), and am simply following how I perceive the colouring should be within the text and artwork of the story, rather than in comparison to (original colourist) Tom Palmer's colouring choices.

Here, I've coloured the cover. I've kept the colouring effects fairly simple, just using colour holds for the background effects and white text, and painting in the lineart around the magical energy that Drac is being blasted with to give it an interesting look.

This book was written by Marv Wolfman, with artwork by Gene Colan and Tom Palmer, and lettering by John Costanza.

Comments

Chris Chuckry said…
That's pretty cool. I love Colan's Dracula. It's kinda weird though, to see Dr. Strange riding a horse.
Ian Sokoliwski said…
Thanks :)

Yeah, it's a story point later in the book, where Doc is encountering Drac before....you know, you'll just have to wait to read it all to find out :D