Colouring John Byrne - Doctor Strange - plus procedures on colouring commisisons



Another piece by John Byrne that I coloured that I don't think I've posted on my blog.

The real trick here was to keep the central figure forward and separate from the background collage. Essentially, what I did was paint the background figures/scenes normally, then desaturated all of it at the same time. This kept them essentially on the same plane, keeping me from confusing the image any further.

Oh, and just to be clear about one thing - that www.ianthecomicartist.com that I use as a watermark - that ONLY appears on these images as they are posted on the internet. When the client receives the hi-resolution computer file, that tag does NOT appear on that file.

Here's the basic procedure on what happens with these colouring jobs:
  • the client provides me with a high-resolution scan of the original artwork (300dpi or better) - the specifications for this scanning are: minimum 300dpi resolution, grayscale, and full-size;
  • I paint the high-resolution scan, sending them a low-resolution scan for approval/corrections (72dpi);
  • once the colouring has been approved (and payment received), I then send the client the high-resolution computer file that they can then get printed. I can also get the file printed and shipped to them, but that adds to the cost (plus, if they receive the computer file, if something ever happens to their print, they can get it reprinted at any time); and
  • I post a (watermarked) copy of the low-resolution image to my blog, my Comic Art Fans website, and/or my homepage (unless the client requests that I do not).

Very rarely do I ever get the original lineart in my hands. Once in a while, a client will ship me the artwork so I can scan it myself and then ship it back to them, but the cost of all that (and the easy availability of people who can scan artwork everywhere) makes that a pretty rare occurrence.

In fact, many artists make a high-resolution scan of everything that they draw for clients, so quite often when I'm commissioned to paint one of these pieces, the client will simply ask the artist for the scan, avoiding scanning the artwork themselves.

Comments